About Harrison Industries
Service is Everything
Harrison Industries provides residential, commercial and industrial trash and recycling collection services to 90,000 customers in the cities of Ventura, Camarillo, Ojai, Fillmore and Carpinteria; unincorporated areas of Ventura County; and the Channel Islands Beach Community Services District.
Founded in Ventura in 1932, the company started with a single truck driven by E.J. Harrison, who hauled his Ventura neighbors’ trash to local dumps for 75 cents a load. His wife, Myra, helped to start and run the business, and it has remained a strong and thriving family enterprise. Today it is run by three generations of Harrisons, including E.J. and Myra’s sons: Myron, Jim and Ralph.
With a singular commitment to customer service, Harrison in 2022 commemorated 90 years in business the same way it began – seeing to it that the people relying on our services are completely satisfied.
It has grown into a broad task. As the trash service industry has expanded and evolved over the decades, our services have likewise shifted to aim above all else toward recycling. Today, all of our services are focused on landfill diversion and environmental stewardship. All of our customers are now provided the opportunity to recycle over 20 different materials, including glass, metal, plastic and paper products as well as organic waste. In 2022, we launched an ambitious food waste recycling program for all of our customers, as part of a statewide mandate to reduce climate-damaging methane gas emissions at landfills.
Harrison Industries has been at the forefront of California’s recycling movement for the past three decades. Due in large measure to the unique partnerships Harrison has established with the Gold Coast Recycling & Transfer Station and Agromin, as well as with the cities and unincorporated areas it serves, all of our franchise clients are meeting the challenges of Senate Bill 1383 and other state legislation.
We continue to live by our motto of “Service is Everything” and by always “doing what’s right” – for the communities and customers we serve, for our employees and for our planet.
Honored to Be Honored
Over the years, Harrison has been recognized with countless awards for business excellence and environmental stewardship, among other honors.
Awards for business excellence have included:
- Business of the Month, from the Fillmore Chamber of Commerce
- Business of the Quarter, by the Santa Paula Chamber of Commerce
- Community Business Partner of the Year, from the city of Carpinteria
- Family Business Legacy Award, from the Pacific Coast Business Times
- Family Business Titans Award, from the Pacific Coast Business Times
- Large Business of the Year, from the Camarillo Chamber of Commerce
- Large Business of the Year, from the Carpinteria Chamber of Commerce
- Large Business of the Year, from the Thousand Oaks-area Rotary Clubs
- Large Business of the Year, from the Ventura Chamber of Commerce
- Philanthropist of the Year Award, from the Camarillo Chamber of Commerce
- Philanthropist of the Year for Ventura County, from the Santa Barbara/Ventura County chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals
- Poinsettia Large Business Award, from the Ventura Chamber of Commerce
- Small Business of the Year, from California’s 35th Assembly District
Awards for environmental stewardship have included:
- Blue Sky Award, from CALSTART
- Climate Change Action Award, from the Ventura County Board of Supervisors
- Climate Registered status, from the Climate Registry
- Environmental Business of the Year, from the Ojai Chamber of Commerce
- Environmental Excellence Award, from the city of Ventura
- Green City of the Year honors, for Ventura, from Waste & Recycling News
- Outstanding Recycling Program, from the California Resource Recovery Association
- Statewide recognition as one of 20 refuse companies to be ahead of schedule in meeting strict clean-air regulations for trash and recycling collection vehicles, from the California Air Resources Board