About Harrison Industries
Who We Are
Harrison Industries provides residential, commercial and industrial trash and recycling collection service to 90,000 customers in the cities of Ventura, Thousand Oaks, Camarillo, Ojai, Fillmore and Carpinteria, the county of Ventura, Limoneira, Naval Base Ventura County, California state beaches and the Channel Islands Beach Community Services District.
Founded in Ventura in 1932, the company started with a single truck driven by E.J. Harrison, who hauled his Ventura neighbors’ trash to local dumps for 75 cents a load; his wife, Myra, helped to start and run the business. After nearly 90 years, Harrison has remained a strong and thriving family business – today run by three generations of Harrisons including E.J. and Myra’s sons, Myron, Jim and Ralph.
With a singular commitment to customer service, Harrison will commemorate 90 years in business the same way it began – seeing to it that the people relying on our services are completely satisfied.
It has grown into a broad task. As the trash service industry has expanded and evolved over the decades, our services have likewise shifted to aim above all else toward recycling. Today, all of our services are focused on landfill diversion and environmental stewardship. All of our customers are now provided the opportunity to recycle over 20 different materials, including glass, metal, plastic and paper products as well as organic waste.
Harrison Industries has been at the forefront of California’s recycling movement for the past three decades. Due in large measure to the unique partnerships Harrison has established with the Gold Coast Recycling & Transfer Station and Agromin Premium Soil Products, as well as with the cities and unincorporated areas of Ventura County that it serves, the company has made residential and business recycling and yard waste collection part of standard customer service. As a result, all Harrison franchise clients have surpassed the recycling mandates of AB 939, AB 341 and AB 1826 and are ready to meet the challenge of current legislation.
As we roll out our next round of service improvements – including weekly three-cart collection, food waste recycling and new cart distribution – we continue to live by our motto of “Service is Everything” and on our path of always “doing what’s right” – for the communities and customers we serve, for our employees and for the good of our planet.
Honored to Be Honored
Over the years, Harrison has been recognized with countless awards for business excellence and environmental stewardship, among other honors.
Awards for business excellence have included:
- Business of the Month, from the Fillmore Chamber of Commerce
- Business of the Quarter, by the Santa Paula Chamber of Commerce
- Community Business Partner of the Year, from the city of Carpinteria
- Family Business Legacy Award, from the Pacific Coast Business Times
- Family Business Titans Award, from the Pacific Coast Business Times
- Large Business of the Year, from the Camarillo Chamber of Commerce
- Large Business of the Year, from the Carpinteria Chamber of Commerce
- Large Business of the Year, from the Thousand Oaks-area Rotary Clubs
- Large Business of the Year, from the Ventura Chamber of Commerce
- Philanthropist of the Year Award, from the Camarillo Chamber of Commerce
- Philanthropist of the Year for Ventura County, from the Santa Barbara/Ventura County chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals
- Poinsettia Large Business Award, from the Ventura Chamber of Commerce
- Small Business of the Year, from California’s 35th Assembly District
Awards for environmental stewardship have included:
- Blue Sky Award, from CALSTART
- Climate Change Action Award, from the Ventura County Board of Supervisors
- Climate Registered status, from the Climate Registry
- Environmental Business of the Year, from the Ojai Chamber of Commerce
- Environmental Excellence Award, from the city of Ventura
- Green City of the Year honors, for Ventura, from Waste & Recycling News
- Outstanding Recycling Program, from the California Resource Recovery Association
- Statewide recognition as one of 20 refuse companies to be ahead of schedule in meeting strict clean-air regulations for trash and recycling collection vehicles, from the California Air Resources Board