Drive for E.J. Harrison & Sons
As a driver, you are responsible for safely performing assigned duties on recycling, residential, commercial, bin truck or industrial (roll-off) routes with a heavy-duty truck. This job involves efficiently servicing assigned customers, while complying with company policies as well as all local, state, and federal transportation laws.
ABOUT US: Based in Ventura, Harrison Industries provides full-service trash and recycling collection and processing throughout Ventura County and in Carpinteria, in Santa Barbara County. Harrison is a family-owned company in business since 1932, an award-winning Climate Registered corporation leading the industry in sustainability, and an employee-focused operation with workers who routinely spend their entire careers with us.
Equal-opportunity employment guarantee
It is the policy of E.J. Harrison & Sons, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons, and to recruit, hire, train, promote and compensate persons in all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual identification or orientation.
- Starting Hourly Pay $24.33
- Comprehensive benefits package: medical, dental, vision
- 401K, profit sharing and matching funds, from 3% to 6%
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation: 1 year, 1 week; 2 years, 2 weeks; 7 years, 3 weeks
- Sick pay/well pay: up to 4 days per year
- 7 paid holidays a year
- 1 personal anniversary pay day per year
- Professional development learning
- Recognition programs: safety jackets, quarterly safety pay, service awards, safety BINGO
- Boot allowance twice per year
Essential Job Functions
- Operates vehicle in accordance with Occupational and Safety Health Act (OSHA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements as well as all local, state and federal requirements.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicle utilizing standard Driver Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR); is responsible for reporting any vehicle deficiencies prior to and after each route day.
- Ensures vehicle is operating correctly while on the route and notifies Route Supervisor/Dispatch/Maintenance of any concerns.
- Understands and practices all policies and procedures as described per E.J. Harrison & Sons, Inc. safety rules. Makes use of standard tools and resources provided by the Company.
- Cleans area around any accidental waste spill, ensuring adherence to all applicable safety standards and policies.
- Identifies unsatisfactory waste barrels and tags containers due to contamination of waste streams.
- Follows all applicable rules and protocols when disposing at the landfill, recycling center or yard waste facility.
- Maintains a clean and safe vehicle. Cleans waste from the packer blade and truck body (where appropriate) on each disposal trip.
- Ensures all personal protective equipment (PPE) is worn while operating specific machinery.
- Participates and cooperates in all scheduled training, briefings and safety meetings as required by the Company.
- Works closely with route supervisors and management to improve route efficiencies and identify problems or unsafe situations.
- Performs all duties as scheduled by management, route supervisor or dispatch, assisting operations as directed.
- Immediately notifies route supervisor of any incidents/accidents/injuries/property damage.
- Communicates customer requests/issues to dispatch/route supervisor.
- Completely dumps all containers and leaves the customer’s location clean and free of debris. Properly positions containers on the customer’s property.
- Follows route assignments throughout the day and completes all documentation when checking in at the end of the route.
- Provides a positive and professional attitude when dealing with customers.
- Works when necessary in windy/hot/cold/wet environments, around heavy equipment, among refuse and exposed to dusty conditions.
- Is frequently exposed to traffic, is aware of all surroundings, and maintains a high level of communication with others.
- Must continuously grasp, bend, push, pull, lift, stretch, twist, stoop, and walk on uneven surfaces and must frequently lift up to 50 pounds in all weather conditions; must be able to work independently and with others as a team.
- Works standing and/or sitting for long periods of time.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Valid Class A or B driver’s license.
- Clean driving record.
- Ability to meet all DOT requirements.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service always.
- Good time management skills.
- Ability to follow through on multiple challenges as they arise.
- Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Bilingual English/Spanish.
- Work experience in the waste, environmental services, energy or transportation industry.
- High school diploma or GED.
- 3-plus years of experience operating a commercial vehicle.
- Standing, walking, seeing, hearing and smelling continuously.
- Problem-solving, oral/written communication, analytical ability, concentration and interpersonal abilities continuously.
- Eye/hand coordination, handling and wrist motion continuously.
- Bending, reaching and stretching, frequently; pushing, pulling and lifting up to 50 pounds continuously.
- Exposure to dust, smoke, fumes, odors, grease, oil, chemicals, wet/hot conditions and noise continuously.
- Working outside continuously.